Sunday, October 10, 2010

How My Connections Facilitate My Learning

Hello again,
As I mentioned earlier this week, I have returned to complete my assignment for this week.  Part I was to post my mind map.  Based on the mind maps of my classmates, not so sure I achieved the goal of this particular assignment.  I guess I will see when my grade is posted...

Part II is to discuss the questions that I posted to you all earlier this week...many of these questions were addressed in/on my mind map that I posted this week.

1.  How has your network changed the way you learn?
I have discussed this a few times within my discussion group(s), until this class I never considered a formal network as a way to learn.  I have utilized social networks such as www.myspace.com, www.facebook.com, and www.twitter.com as a way to stay in touch with friends and network with others with similar interests to my own.  With my educational theory class, I have realized that these sites, as well as the internet are  full of information that I can use to advance my academic, and professional interests as well. 

2.  Which digital tools best facilitate learning for you?
I utilize many of the available applications on web 2.0 to facilitate my learning.  A particular digital tool that I enjoy is the RSS Feed.  Until this class, I was clueless to the little "orange icon with sound waves"and what it was used for.  Our Professor included a link to a online video that explained RSS Feed, their function, and how they are used.  RSS Feeds in Plain English is a great website for beginners to get an idea on how RSS Feeds work. RSS Feeds are a great way to organize your favorite websites, blogs, professional as well as personal.
I also enjoy following various blogs of fellow instructional designers and others within the field of eLearning.  Again our Professor included a link to an online video that explained Blogs, their function, and how they are used. Blogs in Plain English is a wonderful resource for new bloggers to learn the function of blogs and how they can be used to connect with others.
These are just two examples of digital tools that I use.  In addition to these I utilize the internet's search engines, as well as my Macbook Pro by Apple!

3.  How do you gain new knowledge when you have questions?
When I have questions I first seek the expertise of someone that I feel will have the information.  In some cases this can be a personal acquaintance and in other situations it may be a professional associate.  If I still seek additional information then I also will refer to the various websites, and blogs that I have available in my networks.  Sometimes with having so much information available it is difficult to discern the proper answer as the wealth of information typically leads to more questions...

4.  In what ways does your personal learning network support or refute the central tenets of connectivism?
My personal learning network supports the central tenets of connectivism. I think connectivism is an important concept especially in the 21st century.  In this "digital era" it is easier than ever to connect with  people all over the world from various professions and walks of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment